Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Starting with the End in Mind (and Happy Down Syndrome Awareness Month)

Blogging is a new venture for me. When I was aware that blogs were coming into vogue, I tried to post every once in a while without much direction. However, since I don't thrive without direction, I've decide that to begin this blog, we must start with the end in mind. The Westminster catechism of faith says that the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. That's the end.

I don't mean to be overly theological, but God has been showing that this catechism uses a much broader term of "man's" chief end than I've been considering. This broader meaning is contrary to the way I have lived life - and often continue to live life -  wherein I've struggled to determine what "Chad's" chief end will be. In the end, though, it's not about me but it's about God and his great plan to have man live in a way that we glorify and honor God.

Rewind a few years from the end, and I see my boys living their own lives (I have four under the age of 8 - wow!), sharing with others and discipling their families and friends so that others too may live a life that God intended. I see my wife and I still madly in love and growing in the Lord, reading his word, praying daily, serving others and learning from our children.

Rewind a little more. No longer are the boys fully grown, but I see them having fruitful relationships with their friends. I see them without judgment. I see them with humility. I see them caring for others. I see them respecting women. I see my wife and I, along with our friends, pouring truth into them. I see an open family where we can talk and discuss all things through the lens of man's chief end. I see myself loving my wife for the Lord, for her sake, for their sake and for my sake.

Now, let's rewind to today. I am a broken man. I now understand what is is to be both fully broken and fully whole at the same time. Praise God! Since I know I can't earn his favor, praise him for his grace and mercy. From that lens, if we were to fast forward through the years just discussed, I know that there will be days, months, maybe years, where it doesn't look exactly like the vision. But, I want to live, as much as possible, through that vision removing my ego-centrism, glorifying God and loving my family all the while calling on his mercy wherever we fail and reveling in his mercy every time we succeed.

So, this blog will be about the aroma of our family. We strive to make it a sweet offering as called for throughout Leviticus and Numbers, but we know we won't always smell sweet. The chronicles of our family are going to be best captured at my wife's blog here ourmorningglories.com, but I too am going to chronicle more about our life, successes, failures, laughter, sadness and joy. I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to leave comments!

For those of you who don't know me, my fourth child, affectionately referred to a "Number 4," was born with Down Syndrome. He has Down Syndrome, but is not defined by it (i.e. he's not a "Downs' Kid," but rather a child with Down Syndrome). No. 4 is a joy and a blessing. You will learn more about him, his brothers and his parents through this blog, but since it's Down Syndrome Awareness month, I thought I would give a shout out to the International Down Syndrome Coalition.

Thanks.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful for you! And, anxiously awaiting another post!

    ReplyDelete